Sunday, October 14, 2018

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and melody


Photo source: Wikimedia Commons, Joseph Sonnleithner

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791) was an Austrian composer best known for his contributions to Classical period of music. Composer Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf said,
"Mozart is undoubtedly one of the greatest of original geniuses, and I have never known any other composer to posses such an amazing wealth of ideas. I wish he were not so spendthrift with them. He does not give the listener time to catch his breath, for no sooner is one inclined to reflect upon a beautiful inspiration then another appears ever more splendid, which drives away the first, and this continues on and on, so that in the end one is unable to retain any of these beauties in the memory." (Autobiography, 1799)
The rest of this post is some quotes from Mozart.

Music


"The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between." (Goodreads.com)

"I choose such notes that love one another." (AZQuotes.com)

"Melody is the essence of music." (Quoted in Reminiscences of Michael Kelly... by Henry Colbern)

"...the most necessary, most difficult and principal thing in music, that is time..." (Letter to Leopold Mozart)

"The best way to learn is through the powerful force of rhythm." (AZQuotes.com)

"The organ is in my eyes the king of all instruments." (Mozart's Letters)

Creation


"I am never happier than when I have something to compose, for that, after all, is my sole delight and passion." (AZQuotes.com)

"You know that I immerse myself in music, so to speak - that I think about it all day long - that I like experiments, studying, reflecting." (Goodreads.com)

"I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings." (Goodreads.com)

"Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." (Goodreads.com)

"I really do not aim at any originality." (AZQuotes.com)

Religion


"God is ever before my eyes. I realize his omnipotence and I fear his anger; but I also recognize his compassion, and his tenderness towards his creatures." (AZQuotes.com)