Sunday, October 7, 2018

Anselm and the supreme being


Anselm (1033-1109) was an Italian theologian best known for his argument supporting the existence of God. Wikipedia says,
"Beginning at Bec, Anselm composed dialogues and treatises with a rational and philosophical approach, sometimes causing him to be credited as the founder of Scholasticism. Despite his lack of recognition in this field in his own time, Anselm is now famed as the originator of the ontological argument for the existence of God and of the satisfaction theory of atonement." (Wikipedia: Anselm of Canterbury, 5.31.21 UTC 00:45)
The rest of this post is some quotes from Anselm.

Supreme God


"Therefore, lord... believe that you are something than which nothing greater can be thought." (Proslogion)

"O supreme and unapproachable light! O whole and blessed truth, how far art thou from me, who am so near to thee! How far removed art thou from my vision, though I am so near thine! Everywhere thou art wholly present, and I see thee not." (AZQuotes.com)

"But since it is better to have perception or to have omnipotence, to be pitiful or to be without passions, than not to have these attributes; how has Thou perception if Thou art not a body?" (Proslogion)

"I do not endeavor, O Lord, to penetrate thy sublimity, for in no wise do I compare my understanding with that; but I long to understand in some degree thy truth, which my heart believes and loves." (Proslogion)