Friday, July 17, 2020

Judy Chicago and feminist art

Judy Chicago (1939-now) is an American artist best known for her contributions to feminist art. Wikipedia says,
"Judy Chicago... is known for her large collaborative art installation pieces about birth and creation images, which examine the role of women in history and culture." (Wikipedia: Judy Chicago, 8.4.21 UTC 13:03)
The rest of this post is some quotes from Chicago.

Feminist art


"I am trying to make art that relates to the deepest and most mythic concerns of human kind and I believe that, at this moment of history, feminism is humanism." (AZQuotes.com)

"Even if I am simply one more woman laying one more brick in the foundation of a new and more human world, it is enough to make me rise eagerly from my bed each morning and face the challenge of break the historic silence that has held women captive for so long." (AZQuotes.com)

"Once I knew that I wanted t be an artist, I had made myself into one. I did not understand that wanting doesn't always lead to action. Many of the women had been raised without the sense that they could mold and shape their own lives and so, wanting to be an artist (but without the ability to realize their wants) was, for some of them, only an idle fantasy, like wanting to go to the moon." (AZQuotes.com)