Saturday, July 14, 2018

What is a soul?


Photo source: Wikimedia Commons, Francisco Ribalta

What is a soul? Here is my definition:
A soul is a conscious transcendental being
Some people believe that a soul is merely chemicals and atoms, but I disagree with that opinion. Instead I believe that the actual soul is invisible to the physical world. Although, neuroscientists might be able to narrow their focus down to a single part of the brain and call it a 'soul', I doubt that this will provide an explanation for how it works. Even if neuroscientists do further research and identify an even more microscopic process, the mystery will still remain. For that reason, I believe the actual soul is non-physical.

I believe that the soul has one foot in physical reality and one foot in transcendental reality. Although the actual soul is invisible to physical reality, it's presence can be observed. We can clearly see life forms behaving with emotions and thoughts. Although these physical manifestations are partially caused by a soul, the actual soul still remains hidden to physical reality.

License: CC BY-SA 4.0