Saturday, August 18, 2018

What is metaphysics?


Photo source: Wikimedia Commons, ESO
Photo license: CC BY 4.0

What is metaphysics? I have two definitions:
1. Metaphysics is the study of reality outside of matter and space
2. Metaphysics is the study of the fundamental principles of reality
The rest of this post is an explanation of each definition.

1. Metaphysics is the study of reality outside of matter and space

I believe that consciousness has one foot in physical reality and one foot in metaphysical reality. If you look inside the brain, it's inexplicable how consciousness could arise from chemicals and matter. Even if neuroscientists could narrow their focus down to a single process in the brain and call it 'consciousness', I doubt that would provide an explanation for how it works. I don't understand how matter by itself, would be a satisfying explanation. For this reason, I believe that consciousness is partially located in metaphysical reality.

I also believe that metaphysics is one of the most speculative branches of knowledge. This is because we don't have clear evidence about metaphysical reality. Although I disagree with this opinion, some people believe that metaphysical reality doesn't exist. Another opinion (which I also disagree with) is that it's impossible to have knowledge about metaphysical reality.

I believe that metaphysical reality exists. I do not think that physical reality has the ability to come into existence by itself. I believe there must have been a greater force beyond physics that could enable our present world to exist. In this way, metaphysical reality can do impossible things.

2. Metaphysics is the study of the fundamental principles of reality

The second definition does not have an emphasis on transcendental reality, but instead it is more focused on fundamental principles of reality. This includes fundamental concepts such as perception, time, being and objects.

I believe that the second meaning of 'metaphysics' is very close to the meaning of 'philosophy'. For example, think of what you might study within the 'philosophy of mathematics'. This might include the essence of mathematical descriptions, how mathematics relates to reality and how mathematics relates to an observer. Now compare this to what you would study within the 'metaphysics of mathematics' and it seems as though there would be very little difference. In this regard, I believe 'metaphysics' has the same meaning as 'philosophy'.

License: CC BY-SA 4.0