Sunday, October 15, 2017

What is art?

What is art? Here is my definition:
Art is an expression of imagination and/or ability
I believe that not all expressions are art. For example, if you ask for a glass of water, you are making an expression, but not creating art. Another example, if you say that the sky is blue, you are expressing something about the world, but that statement is also not art.

For an expression to become art, I believe it needs to either draw upon imagination and/or ability. Imagination is where our most creative thoughts exist, and whenever a person expresses these thoughts, I believe they are creating art. Also when a person demonstrates a talent or ability, I believe that is also art. In this regard, I believe that imagination and ability are two main sources for artistic inspiration.

License: CC BY-SA 4.0