Sunday, September 30, 2018

What is subconscious?


Photo source: Wikimedia Commons, Arup1981
Photo license: CC BY-SA 4.0

What is subconscious? Here is my definition:
Subconscious is the part of the mind one is unaware of
One of my favorite activities is to examine how I experience my own mind with the goal of discovering subconscious aspects. For example, sometimes I'll eat something very delicious and try to figure out what exactly I enjoy about the food. Although I might be able to point to specific qualities such as crunchiness or sweetness, I can never figure out why I enjoy that specific quality. In this regard, I feel as though I'm traveling down the infinite staircase into the subconscious.

Another example, I enjoy examining how I experience thoughts. In our daily lives we are bombarded with thoughts that seem to blend together. My goal is to examine if each of these thoughts are isolated entities on a conveyor belt or if something else is going on. I believe these details of thought experience is something most people are unaware of.

License: CC BY-SA 4.0