Saturday, June 9, 2018

What is consciousness?


Photo source: Wikimedia Commons, Johann Amos Comenius

What is consciousness? Here is my definition:
Consciousness is the faculty that enables a being to be aware of experience
Some people believe that consciousness is merely chemicals and atoms, but I disagree with that opinion. Instead I believe that the fundamental process of consciousness is invisible to the physical world. Although, neuroscientists might be able to narrow their focus down to a single process in the brain and call it 'consciousness', I doubt that this would provide an explanation for how it works. Even if neuroscientists do further research and identify an even more microscopic process, the mystery would still remain. For this reason, I believe something non-physical and transcendental is necessary for consciousness to work.

License: CC BY-SA 4.0