Saturday, November 19, 2022

Feedback for the U.S. Open Government National Action Plan Working Group

This post is the feedback I provided to the U.S. Open Government National Action Plan Working Group on October 27th, 2022.

Hi everyone. My name is Alex Peek and I have a blog at Econ Analysis Tools.

I want to suggest that the federal government should release short blog posts to display key information from each publication. A given publication could have 1 blog post or multiple blog posts. Each blog post would have its own URL and this would allow people to share information with greater ease. Instead of sharing a large document, a person could send their friend a URL that provides quick access to the information.

I also want to suggest that the government use the information blogging protocol* (or IBP for short) to create these blog posts. IBP is a list of 5 templates for displaying information on a blog post. Instead of having to scroll around on a webpage and read through paragraphs, I believe that information is best displayed when its at the top of the page. IBP ensures that information is displayed in a consistent and simple format.

I will share a link to the information blogging protocol in the Zoom chat and a directory of my blog posts to provide examples. Thank you for listening.

* 'Information blogging protocol' was later renamed to 'information blogging guidelines'

License: CC BY-SA 4.0