Sunday, November 18, 2018

Explanation of quotes by person posts

Beginning in March 2017, I started to make quote blog posts that were each focused on an individual person. A list of these posts can be found at this link. The goal of each post was to find my favorite quotes for each person and organize them into a clear structure. In this regard, I attempted to make a rough outline of their important contributions and principles.

I tried my hardest to not misrepresent anybody and I sincerely apologize if I took anybody out of context. If I was unfamiliar with the person's work, I tried to limit the quotes to general philosophy unspecific to that person. It's also important to say that all these posts are a work in progress. As I learn more about a person's work, I try to go back and edit the post with the improved understanding.

The other purpose of these posts is to add to a list of philosophy quotes at this link. I find it useful to have these quotes organized and available especially when I recombine the quotes such as here, here and here.

I should also mention that these posts were largely created using Wikiquote.org. I have the largest gratitude for Wikiquote because without this website, all of these posts would have been much harder to create. Special thanks to the editors who add material to Wikiquote.

The rest of this post is two seemingly contradicting quotes from Friedrich Nietzsche that epitomize what I'm trying to do with the the person posts: to avoid misrepresentation while finding the most valuable insights.
"The worst readers - The worst readers are those who proceed like plundering soldiers: they pick up a few things they can use, soil and confuse the rest, and blaspheme the whole." (Mixed Opinions and Maxims, 1879)
"Philosophers' error - The philosopher supposes that the value of his philosophy lies in the whole, in the structure; but posterity finds its value in the stone which he used for building, and which is used many more times after that for building - better. Thus it finds the value in the fact that the structure can be destroyed and nevertheless retain value as building material." (Mixed Opinions and Maxims, 1879)
 
License: CC BY-SA 4.0