Wednesday, June 6, 2018

What is a thought?


Photo source: Wikimedia Commons, Bellcanada420

What is a thought? Here is my definition:
A thought is a conscious belief, memory retrieval, sense replication or emotion
I believe that the subconscious does not qualify as a thought. The subconscious is unclear, unknown and not defined. I also believe that thoughts and the subconscious are opposite ends on a continuum. There's not a strict line that determines whether a mental entity is conscious or not. Instead we should think of thoughts as emerging from the vast unknown into our conscious awareness.

I also believe that thoughts do not need to take the form of language. For example, we can visualize a large skyscraper in our mind without using any words. Or we can think of the color green without thinking of the word 'green'. I regard these two examples as sense replications. Not everything we think of needs to be labeled linguistically.

License: CC BY-SA 4.0