Saturday, June 2, 2018

What is a statement?


Photo source: Wikimedia Commons, Alexander Gardner

What is a statement? Here is my definition:
A statement is concise declaration of something
Statements are very similar to descriptions, but I believe the main difference is that statements are short and straight to the point. Descriptions can be longer and more detailed, but there is not a strict line that differentiates a description from a statement. Due to this inherent subjectivity, I think of these two concepts as melded together.

I believe that statements are the building blocks of knowledge. I also believe we can reduce all of our explicit knowledge down to a list of statements about reality. This list would be extremely large if we include every particular event we have ever encountered. I believe this list of statements is central paradigm in philosophy, science and knowledge.

License: CC BY-SA 4.0